- Study Resources for Students and Researchers
- We also have a collection of resources for teaching staff
- Here is a guide to using the AFI Research Collection remotely
- For an in-depth guide to some of our collection highlights, visit the Gems of the Collection
Students and the AFI Research Collection
Students have used the AFI Research Collection to assist with research for various subjects and topics. These include: documentary films and filmmaking, Australian films, New Wave films, Asian cinema, screenwriting, Australian film production, Italian neo-realism, press kit material production, Australian cinemas, film festivals.
The AFIRC is often used by students searching on materials by certain filmmakers. Some examples of these filmmakers are: Ernst Lubitsch, Blake Edwards, Jean-Luc Godard, Wong Kar-Wai, Errol Morris.
Academic and industry-related research at the AFI RC
The AFI RC has assisted numerous scholars and researchers over the years, including our Fellowship recipients.
View some of the projects we assisted on [link Home > STUDY > Academic and industry-related research at the AFI RC]
Accessing the collection
The AFI Research Collection is a non-lending, closed collection within RMIT’s Swanston Library. This means all items remain at the collection and visitors complete request forms to view items. Items in the AFI RC catalogue as ‘in storage’ require a day’s notice to be retrieved.
We have a photocopying/scanning facility and a microfilm scanner that can be fully utilised by RMIT University staff and students. On request we can allow clients to use viewing and listening facilities for our small collection of videos, dvds, and music.
AFI RC Research Service
AFI RC offers a research service for those unable to attend the collection in person. Staff will search for and retrieve materials for clients from within the AFI RC and other resources. A fee is charged for all research taking more than ten minutes.
All charges are in Australian dollars ($AUD) and include GST. Please contact the AFI RC staff if you require any further information.
I need it now!
- $110 per hour
- For the research client who doesn’t have time to spare
- Guaranteed 24 hour turnaround
- $77 per hour
- For individual jobs and enquiries
- Expected completion within 10 working days
- $275 for five hours research during the calendar year.
- The subscription is suitable for clients with ongoing requests or large jobs.
- Expected completion within ten working days.
- Research subscriptions purchased before September 30 expire at the end of that calendar year.
- Subscriptions purchased after October 1 expire at the end of the following year.